EXPERIENCE IN DIVING
It is natural that according to the experience of the diver depends to what kind of diving he is prepared for, and to what he is not. But experience is not the only defining criterion. Along with it the essential factor influencing both your own safety and the safety of the partner is the level of education and readiness to diving. The estimation of the degree of experience and readiness can be understood from the fact that that the diver feels confident in the depth of 25 m, after 30 — 40 diving (it is supposed that the quantity of diving is summarized during no more than three years, or in a considerable time interval since the last diving). While diving with skilled divers, for example, instructors it is recommended to observe how they swim and ask them in detail on this or that moment. Thanks to it, there is a possibility given to train «the Seventh sense» and to distinguish the danger source before it will turn into a disaster. The diver, who is skilled in the sea, stops being skilled in lake, as diving conditions considerably vary, and it is necessary to get a certain experience in order to feel as confidently in the lake as in the sea. Experience is supported first of all by the acquired knowledge and abilities, and is an important contribution for confirming the self-esteem of the diver (Attention: unfortunately people are inclined to overestimate themselves). With the help of the gained experience, regular dive and educational process of diver may raise the level of preparation to a such degree that under certain conditions of diving, the correct equipment, the corresponding type of diving and by observing all the safety rules, diver will be able to dive up to 40 m depth.
INSTRUCTIONS ON SAFETY
Instructions on safety are universal for all divers without dependence from the level of their preparation, as these laws are same both for the beginners and for the instructors.
• Never dive alone
• Always dive only at zero (safe) time
• Carefully plan each diving
• Dive being confident in you and in your partner, instead of being concentrated on the depth
• Supervise depth, time and air stock
• Dive only in the presence of the valid health certificate on your being able to a dive
• Stop the diving if you feel physical or mental discomfort
• Keep good physical and mental preparation.
• Dive only with the checked equipment.
The partnership system means that distance between both divers is equal to 1m-2.5m , both divers are on same depth and follow each other. But on the big depths it is not enough, as it is necessary to strengthen the control over your partner, for noticing the rising problem on time and warning your partner. Unfortunately, during diving, especially if this a usual one for pleasure, this system of partnership is neglected, and everyone dives only for himself and by himself. It is unacceptable, as it is serious lack in safety system which can lead to a disaster.
IDENTIFICATION OF THE PROBLEMS
Recognition and elimination of insignificant problems warns their multiplication and complication. More often accidents occur from multiplication of minor problems which were not realized or were ignored. Many problems could be eliminated, if they were distinguished and eliminated in an occurrence stage. If the diving passes with observance of rules of partnership system, it is much easier to distinguish and on time eliminate the problem, than in the case when partnership system is neglected or not used at all. If the partnership system is used correctly, then by the behavior of the diver (reaction, breath, body movement, visual contact) it can be distinguished, whether your partner is able to solve a problem himself, or he is already in a pre-panic state (Read more about Panic in Underwater Psychology). As soon as it is noticed that the partner loses the control, it is necessary to interfere at once.
For solving the problem one general rule operates:
To stop> to Restore breath> to Think> to Operate
Only by means of the planned actions the fast purposeful and effective help is possible!
Following actions are necessary for assistance:
• To come into physical contact, for example, hold strong from shoulder or hold hand, to let the partner know that he is not alone, and it already will calm him somehow.
• If it is possible, to come into visual contact — to look in the eyes of the partner as it strengthens physical contact.
• To provide needed air, as only in case of sufficient amount of air it is possible to solve problems under water.
• Arrange the partner vertically. The diver should be in a position which corresponds to a human nature.
• On a surface it is necessary to take care of maintenance of sufficient buoyancy indemnification, as the insufficiency of buoyancy can lead to another problematic situation. For this purpose it is necessary to inflate the jacket of the partner and for more reliability lead belt should be removed.
To provide air supply on the surface. In the presence of waves it is recommended to breathe by means of a tube or a regulator.
The problem which arises under water and cannot be solved there, becomes complicated on a surface. Therefore, you should try to solve arising problems under water. «A problem which you cannot solve under water, must be taken out on a surface!».